Thursday 29 July 2010

Amsterdam Street Style....At the Cafe


It was my first afternoon in Amsterdam and I was sheltering from the rain in a really cute little cafe (no, not a coffeeshop*;) near my hotel (the brilliant College Hotel) when I spied this girl having an espresso with her boyfriend. As she got up to leave I asked if I could take her photograph. Unfortunately it had started to rain more heavily so in order to keep her dry (nothing worse than asking a person you have just met to stand in the rain so you can take their photograph), I kind of accidentally stood in the dedicated bike lane (well, one leg was in it anyway!). Now, if any of you have been to Amsterdam you will know this is a very, very, VERY bad idea. Almost everyone in Amsterdam rides a bike, and they ride pretty fast (I know, cos I tried to catch up with a few girls on bikes to take their photograph and failed miserably). And those bike lanes, I came to realise, aren't just for your treadly: they are for scooters, mopeds and I even saw a little motorised "car" puttering along one! So after getting yelled at by an irate woman on a scooter (quite rightly- I did a bad), I took this photo. It is a bit blurry but that was a combo of the rain, my shock at realising I was in the middle of peak-hour biking traffic, and that I had nearly ended up squished on my first afternoon in Amsterdam!

*if you are looking for places to go for fab espresso in Amsterdam, best to google espresso rather than coffee shops otherwise you will end up with a list of places to go for something rather a touch stronger than the coffee bean :) I can recommend Stumptown Coffee Roasters who are from the US but have a super cool pop-up cafe on Albert Cuypstrat, home of the oldest street market in Amsterdam. Apparently a deal was struck with the owners of the space (a creative agency) whereby the Stumptown crew would make coffee for them, in return for use of the space for 3 months. Brilliant!

5 comments:

  1. I live in Amsterdam! I am so sad I have not seen you over there!

    Did you like it despite the bad weather and the crazy bicycle people? I hope you did, because we Dutchies would love to see you again in the (near) future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how natural she look. and the dress is very cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anon- hey Anon, I loved Amsterdam!!! It is a very pretty city, with so much history and I have to say that everyone I met was so super friendly. Even the tram drivers (and I talked to quite a few because I got miserably lost on 3 occasions- I am not blessed with any sense of direction, at all) are really friendly and helpful. I actually wish I had longer to stay so I could have done a bike tour, or at least hired a bike (although I am not so sure I am confident enough to ride with the locals, nor find my bike again after leaving it somewhere! How do you find your bike at the end of the day?!!). I also am disappointed I didn't get to see any windmills- I do like a good windmill! I need to go out to the country next time to see some. I would also have loved to have taken a little boat along the canals, somehow the tourist boats seemed a little too impersonal. Next time I will do that as well!

    @franca- I loved her dress and wedges as well! And she was about to hop on her bike when I took this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. vanessa! i've been following you for awhile and i luv it. when are you going to make a trek to canada...even better, vancouver (where i live)?

    the west coast here is soo lovely! espesh during the summer. we are having our annual fireworks where countries from around the world put on 4 times at the end of july. too bad you'll miss them.

    anyway, if you come to vancouver i would be more than happy to take you on a tour or tell you all the funky places to go see and visit. :)

    nikjillb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @nik- hee hee! Oh wow, I would love to visit Canada! My mum has been before as have a couple of friends and they loved it. It is definitely on my "to visit" list while we are over here in the UK! Those fireworks sound incredible- I will have to google it now!

    ReplyDelete